Over the years, the field of dentistry has come a long way. That’s a very good thing, considering what many had to go through in the past to repair decayed or damaged teeth.
However, anxiety about going to the dentist is still a common phenomenon. Some experience this worse than others, but almost everyone has it to some degree. It’s perfectly understandable. Your teeth are incredibly sensitive. The tooth nerve that lies within the pulpy material underneath the hard, bony dentin is very powerful, as anyone who’s experienced a cavity, dental damage, or infection can attest.
Not only is it possible to perform what were once painful and complicated procedures with little to no pain, but we’ve also developed dental products that are far more aesthetically appealing, and biologically compatible, than those used in the past.
Among these are our Idaho Falls resin tooth fillings.
To truly understand these benefits, let’s first take a look at the product to which resin fillings are an alternative.
Amalgam (Silver) Fillings
Amalgam fillings contain high levels of mercury – around 50%, in fact. Mercury is a toxic heavy metal. It is a known neurotoxin and can be particularly harmful to:
- Young children
- Women who are pregnant
According to a 2005 World Health Organization (WHO) report:
“It may cause harmful effects to the nervous, digestive, respiratory, immune systems and to the kidneys, besides causing lung damage. Adverse health effects from mercury exposure can be: tremors, impaired vision and hearing, paralysis, insomnia, emotional instability, developmental deficits during fetal development, and attention deficit and developmental delays during childhood. Recent studies suggest that mercury may have no threshold below which some adverse effects do not occur.”
Not all individuals experience the same effects of toxicants. Rather, it appears that people experience effects in a way that is unique to their own bodies. As mercury fillings emit vapors in the mouth, these vapors are absorbed by the body.
Here are some known effects of mercury vapor inhalation:
- Cardiovascular problems (including rapid heartbeat)
- Cognitive problems such as memory loss and general mental deficiency
- Paranoia, delusions, and hallucinations
- Loss of hearing
All over the world, including Idaho Falls, resin tooth fillings are increasingly being viewed as a preferable alternative.
The Benefits of Our Idaho Falls Resin Tooth Fillings
- They are far more bio-compatible: There’s no reason to worry about the side effects of mercury inhalation listed above.
- They look and feel like natural teeth. Unlike amalgam fillings, there’s no reason to worry about “metal mouth”. After a resin tooth filling is properly installed, no one will be able to tell your tooth has been worked on. Over time, you’ll probably forget which tooth has had a resin filling, and where.
- They are adhesive. Amalgam fillings have to be forced or wedged into place. This can create a variety of problems, such as microfractures in the tooth. Over time, these microfractures can develop into major problems, becoming worse over time due to chewing on hard foods and plaque making its way into them. Our Idaho Falls resin fillings are adhesive, so they can be placed gently without causing any unnecessary damage.
- They are stable. Mercury fillings expand and contract due to temperature changes. Hot and cold foods will cause them to shift in size. Not only does this exacerbate microfractures created during their installation, but it can create further microfractures over time. While all objects expand and contract due to temperature changes, resin fillings are far more stable than mercury fillings.
Idaho Falls Mercury Filling Removal
At Wellness BioDentistry, we offer safe mercury filling removal and can replace them with our bio-compatible Idaho Falls resin tooth fillings. If you want your mercury fillings removed, technically, any dentist can do so. However, if you want them removed by a real expert, come into our office.
We specialize in bio-compatible dentistry. That essentially means any kind of dentistry that is focused on not just the health of the teeth and gums, but of the entire body as well. This extends to our mercury filling removal process, in which we use precautionary measures throughout the removal process. Here’s what you can expect:
- High volume suction
- Large amounts of water spray
- Rubber dams
- Oxygen (for you)
- Negative ion generators (these are used to capture mercury vapors that are often released during their removal)
- An Amalgam Separator (this removes amalgam from the wastewater, which protects the public water supply)
These are common practices utilized by The Center for Cosmetic and Biocompatible Dentistry. As a member of the Multi-Discipline Alliance, Dr. Jordan Baker commonly utilizes these methods of operation.
The Importance of Bio-Compatible Dentistry
Our Idaho Falls resin tooth fillings are just the beginning. At Wellness BioDentistry we understand that, like nature itself, the body is an interconnected system. Problems in one area of the body can affect other parts, even though they may seem unrelated at first.
For example, did you know that dental decay and gum disease have been positively correlated with the risk of heart attack and stroke?
We specialize in forms of dentistry that are healthier for the human body, which is becoming increasingly common in the dental field. In fact, many dentists who do not necessarily consider themselves “bio-compatible dentists” are beginning to adopt the products and services of bio-compatible dentistry because they see them as intrinsically healthier.For Idaho Falls resin tooth fillings and other bio-compatible dental products and services, contact us today!