Click Here to Contact Our Idaho Falls Dental Clinic
If the thought of going to the dentist fills you with a crippling sense of fear, remember – you’re not alone!
Plenty of people suffer from dentophobia, a fear of the dentist. There are a number of reasons why people have this fear, and many of them are pretty obvious. Let’s address some fears you’re probably going through right now.
- Fear of pain – This is perfectly understandable. Your teeth are incredibly sensitive parts of your body after all, and if you’re suffering from tooth pain already, the thought of someone poking and prodding at your teeth probably isn’t a pleasant one.
- Fear of losing consciousness – Many people believe that routine anesthesia and sedation could put them in an unconscious state, during which they feel they’ll lose control of their situation. Maybe the loss of control is simply to do with being in the dental chair itself, where they are expected to hold still while their speech is being hindered.
- Fear of being overwhelmed – It’s true, the dentist’s office is full of sounds, sensations, and language that most people don’t hear on a day-to-day basis. These can be uncomfortable for a lot of people.
Fortunately, there are tons of Idaho Falls dentists who understand these fears and have a great deal of empathy for their patients. Here are some tips to find the right dentist in Idaho Falls.
Shop Around & Get Consultations
There’s nothing wrong with getting more information about your dentist before making a final decision. Talk to some possible Idaho Falls dental options and see which one feels best for you. Address your fears and concerns up-front and the dentist will more than likely explain how he or she can help you with these fears.
Check Your Dentist’s Credentials
It will go a long way in alleviating your fears to know that your dentist has the training, education, and experience to provide an easy and successful dental procedure.
Don’t worry about asking a dentist for their credentials – where they graduated, if they’re a member of the American Dental Association, how long they’ve been practicing… This is not an unusual or rude thing to ask. Think about it – dentists have to work hard for their job. There is a lot of schooling and education involved, so most of them will be happy to show their credentials off.
Find a Dentist With Practices You Support
For instance, there are many Idaho Falls dental clinics that use natural/holistic dental services and products. That is to say, they employ healthier products and services than you would typically find in conventional dentistry.
For example, natural dentists use:
- Resin fillings in place of amalgam (metal) fillings (because amalgam fillings contain high amounts of mercury)
- Zirconium implants instead of metal implants (because they are stronger and healthier for the human body)
- Digital x-rays that use less radiation than conventional x-rays
- Laser drills – instruments that use light, rather than a drill, to work on teeth – because they’re more precise and less painful than the conventional dental drill
Your fears don’t have to hold you back from getting that much-needed dental work done. There are plenty of Idaho Falls dental clinics that cater to people just like you.